The 2006 Expozine Alternative Press Awards
Best English Comic
Skim by Mariko Tamaki and Jillian Tamaki
Best English Zine
Welcome to Gayside by The Third Leg
Best English Book
The Theory of the Loser Class by Jon Paul Fiorentino, Coach House Press
About the awards:
To reflect the wide diversity of printed matter that was represented last November at Expozine, Montreal’s only annual small press, comic and zine fair, six prizes will be awarded: three prizes in English and three in French, for the following categories: Best book, Best comic, Best zine. Each of the more than 200 Expozine 2006 participants were asked to submit their best creation for consideration for the prizes. The shortlist was selected by an esteemed panel of judges, and are listed below.
- Best English Comic
- Skim by Mariko Tamaki and Jillian Tamaki
- Ojingogo (#2) by Matthew Forsythe
- Revolver 2 by Salgood Sam with Jim Munroe
- Screwed Ball by Bill Charbonneau
- I Found It in My Urethra! by Kil Beane
- Best English Zine:
- knoggin knowledge, a danger to themselves, and Rolling Man by Kerry Byrne.
- A Queersafe Zine by Mary Potter, Leah Newbold, Adriana. Drawings by Sarah Mangle.
- Welcome to Gayside by The Third Leg.
- Wires by Jeff Otaku.
- thanksgiving by Sarah Pinder.
- Best English Book:
- The Feast: A Collection of Art in Black and White by Permanent Marker Art Society / Shawn O’Keefe and Harley Smart
- In Search of Divine Styler by Ryan Somers, a.k.a. Fritz tha Cat (MudScout Press)
- Jigsaw Youth: Two New Stories by J.B. Staniforth
- Monsters for Real (Loveletters #1 through 11) by Jim Holyoak
- Tattoo This Madness In by Daniel Allen Cox, Dusty Owl Press
- The Theory of the Loser Class by Jon Paul Fiorentino, Coach House Press
- Meilleur Bande Dessinée:
- Hasermeister (spécial Halloween) par Frédéric Mahieu
- Le Bob #5 par collectif de Québec
- Mélodie burlesque par Sylvie Rancourt et Jacques Boivin
- Le commun des mortels par Louis Bouvier
- Meilleur Zine:
- FAS: Non-apprivoisable et non-domesticable, par fas.mjack.net
- Sexyfall / shute nous, par Louise-Andrée Lapierre
- Clémentine, par Vincent Couture
- Fanzine bidon #13 spécial mouvement, par Pierre Bouchard
- Take out / prêt-à-porter, par La Centrale
- Meilleur Livre
- Revue Liberté #51, Pastiche
- Portraits paysages de Patrick Packwood, Éditions La petite fée
- Ce qu’elles ont derrières la tête / tranches de vie, Éditions dans mon salon
- Trois histoires très dramatiques, Rosa Roquette
- Cyclope opus #3 / Plan cartésien, Éditions Les 400 coups
The panel of esteemed judges will be revealed following the Expozine Awards Gala to ensure that there is no lobbying on the part of the finalists.
Expozine on Youtube!
Expozine photos on Flickr!